Sunday, August 24, 2008

An Expensive Weekend

I'm feeling very poor this evening. On Friday I purchased a ticket to Tanzania, which, at $2400, is by a factor of 4 the most expensive plane ticket I've ever purchased. But even though the trip is not until next June, I didn't feel I could wait and hope prices came down. For one thing, options for getting to Kilamanjaro airport in Tanzania are limited. The only U.S. carrier that flies there is Northwest/KLM, with only one flight a day from Amsterdam. Since I know the dates of travel, I pretty much have no option but to be on the June 2nd flight from Amsterdam. By waiting to purchase the ticket, I run the risk of prices rising, or worse, seats selling out.

Then to top off the weekend, I had to go car shopping today, which resulted in a new 2009 Mazda 3s hatchback in the driveway. My old Nissan, which I've owned for over 10 years, was still running fine, but at 181,000 miles was reaching the point where things were starting to fail. The air conditioning went out a month ago, it needed tires to pass inspection, I broke a wheel stud while rotating tires, it was about ready for brakes, etc. Since the registration was expiring at the end of August, I decided it was time for a new car. It sucks to have a car payment for the first time in six years, but I guess I really can't complain too much. I'm almost 42 years old and this is only the third car I've had to buy! If this one lasts as long as the last one, I'll be in the market for another new one somewhere around 2020.

No comments: