Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Joss and Felicia - 2 of My Favorite Things

So I have a secret that is not much of a secret to my good friends. I'm a Joss Whedon fanboy. I can quote entire episodes of Buffy. I can wax poetic about favorite villians, debate character relationships, and expound upon the (pop)cultural significance of the show with the best of them. But it is not just Buffy - I've seen every episode of Firefly at least five times. This surprises me because I never saw a single episode of Buffy during the 7 seasons that it actually aired on TV. But a birthday gift of the first (and only) season of Firefly got me on the Whedon Express, and over the next 10 months I watched all 14 episodes of Firefly, 144 epsiodes of Buffy, and the first 22 episodes of Angel. I TIVO Buffy reruns even though I have all 7 seasons on DVD. Some might say I am a candidate for a 12-step program, but I know I don't have a problem. I just recognize the (evil) genius that is Joss Whedon. So like the rest of the whedonverse, I eagerly downloaded the 3-part web musial "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog" when it debuted last month on i-tunes and at http://drhorrible.com/. Some Whedon fans I know were disappointed in the dark turn and the abrupt change in tone taken by the 3rd part ("97% lame" according to my friend Rex), but I enjoyed the entire production, and I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of Neil Patrick Harris in the title role. I'd never payed much attention to Doogie Howser prior to this. By all measures the release of "Dr. Horrible" on the net was an unqualified success. One of the interesting consequences is that the show has made an internet geek pin-up of the lovely Felicia Day, who played Dr. Horrible's dream-girl Penny. Though Felicia has worked steadily in Hollywood over the last few years (including a recurring role in Buffy Season 7), the web is her real forte, and I'm hoping that her success in Dr. Horrible will draw more attention to her original web series "The Guild", a series about a group of online gamers and their attempts to interact with each other in the real world. Felicia writes and stars, and it is well worth your time to check it out. Season 1 is 10 episodes, and has also just been released on DVD. Go to http://www.watchtheguild.com/ to see Season 1 and buy the DVD. Season 2 starts shooting later this month or next month.

No comments: